Saturday, May 23, 2009

Reunion, Of Sorts

My uncle from Dallas, TX came in to visit his family and especially to see my mother. My mother is the oldest of 12 children and now three have died. One sister had Alzheimer’s and that was my mother’s greatest fear. She really didn’t want to have that, and now, well, she does.

The good thing is that my mother still knows who we are. She knew Don immediately today and she always knows her sister, Genell and Reida. Reida is only 4 years older than me and she and Nancy, who is my age, grew up like sisters. I was blessed to have them because I never had any brothers and sisters. My mother’s family was so large that I didn’t know the difference.

When Charles and I arrived, my mother, daddy, Don, Bonnie (Don’s wife), Genell, and Reida were all at the door. My dad takes my mother up to wait about an hour before they eat. He says they have to go early or they can’t get back to their table because of all of the walkers and wheelchairs. I had brought their laundry and you just can’t believe how many people were lined up. I had to get someone to clear the hall so I could get to my mother’s room.

I wanted to take a picture of Victor and my mother today, but Victor got away before I could. You know Victor is the “world renowned chef” that works at Summit View. I will get a picture of him. He’s always laughing and really likes my mother. My mother says he makes the best gravy and biscuits you’ve ever put in your mouth!

I had a gigantic load of laundry today and one man in a wheelchair asked me how many people I do laundry for. I’m not sure if he wanted to hire me or he was amazed that I had that much laundry for just 2 people.

No comments: