Saturday, May 16, 2009

Mother's Day

I didn’t say a lot about my mother on this past Mother’s Day. I guess it was pretty hard for me. In the past, I always took her to her favorite restaurant, Red Lobster, and she always ordered the seafood platter. She really loved Red Lobster.

Of course, this year, we just couldn’t go. She’s not the same any more.

I really intended to make her a hair appointment to get her hair cut before Mother’s Day, but didn’t get to. When I went down to see her, she said everybody was telling her she looked like Don King. You know, he’s the guy that has the hair just sticks straight up. I went back the next day with my curling iron, but I just couldn’t make her hair look right.
Well, now she has had a haircut and set and she said everybody was telling her how beautiful she is. Well, everybody but my dad. I don’t know why he finds it so hard to tell her that she’s beautiful. He usually just tells her she looks better.

I took my mother’s picture so I could send it to her brother in Dallas, TX. He calls about her and my aunt Genell every few days. My mother has two brothers who have not been to see her at all. I told Genell that the family always shows up at funerals. Why can’t we see our family while they are still alive? So what if my mother has a hard time remembering, she is still a living, breathing person.

Yes, I’m thankful that I still have my mother this year. She’s different, but she’s still my mother.

No comments: